Monday, January 10, 2011

A new addition..

The last few months I have been wanting to get a dog for my girls, but I had a hard time making a decision. I didnt want a puppy and have to deal with the chewing and messes in the house, but I didnt want an older grumpy dog that wouldnt be good with the kids. In December, I was told that the county animal shleter was going to be closing and they had several animals that needed a good home. The timing just didnt workout for us, between holidays and travleing, I couldn't see us getting a new pet and then leaving it to go on a trip as soon as we got it. Then a friend of my parents had a dog jump in her car while she was loading her groceries in the Wal-mart parking lot. I never called her about the dog and just didnt feel like taking it. So finally Saturday evening, my sister called me and said she had found a dog hiding under her van. She already has two dogs and couldnt keep this one, so I talk my husband into letting my sister bring it over. Now Gerson has never had a dog in his life! and he really didnt want me to get one for us, but with the sad boo-hoo story of a lost dog and an artic front moving in seemed to open his heart just a little. As soon as Becca and Seth showed up with the dog, he latched on to Gerson. We decided on the name Oscar for this sweet daschund.



The girls were very excited when they woke up the next morning and love having the dog around. They seem to be having more fun with his stuff then with him!! They enjoy getting in the kennel and apparently prefer to drink their water from a bowl then a cup!!







We took a trip to Petsmart today so Maggie and Sophie could pich out a collar and leash for him. I saved him from pink and directed Maggie to a cute green collar with brown polka dots! Then of course Maggie saw the sweaters and we had to get one, especially since it is so cold and we have had that cold front move in. Once again, I saved Oscar the embarassment of having to wear pink and we settled on a tasteful red and gray strip sweater.




Oscar is good around the kids and tolerates their unending affection, but I think is has attached himself to Gerson. He follows Gerson, sits next to him on the couch (UGH!!!), tries repeatedly to sleep on our bed next to him, and has been whining ever since he left for work this morning. I think Gerson has become pretty attached to Oscar as well!!

3 comments:

Becca Castello said...

LOve Love Love it! So happy to see how excited the girls are with Oscar! Just wish they were still away when I brought him over....would of loved to see them in the morning when they woke up!

Becca Castello said...

oops Still AWAKE when I brought him over!

Searls Stuff said...

That is so funny! I told Ryan that the girls would want a collar that was pink with purple rhinestones! I am glad Oscar doesn't have to dress in drag.